About Me

My photo
San Clemente, CA, United States

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

And it begins again

Tomorrow I begin my 20th year as a high school teacher. I remember the day I decided that teaching would be a cool job for a couple of years until I could figure out what to do next. That was 22 years ago.

I had to go back to college to get my teaching credential first. I was a 28 year old guy and I was working full time in construction. I liked what I did, but it gets a bit warm outside in Tucson in the summer. I couldn't afford to quit and go back to school, so I found a nights and weekend program with the University of Phoenix. For a year and a half I went to classes at night and tried to stash cash like a madman. I knew I had to serve a semester as a student teacher, and I'd have to quit my job.

I nearly went broke. By the end of my student teaching, I bet I was down to about $500. Luckily, I scored a job at the best high school in Tucson just after my student teaching ended, and I signed a contract for $18,500. Working construction I had made $30,000 the year before, so I just laughed at myself when I realized what I had done.

Best decision I ever made. I love what I do. I love standing and delivering and I love watching kids "get it". And, I don't throw the word love around. Today, just getting ready, energized me.

I'm so sorry kids, but I'm ready to go. OHHHHH YEAHHHHHH

No comments:

Post a Comment